Godulike Forum Index Godulike
An irreverent look at the faith industry
Buy Godulike Stuff at Shopulike

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vedic (or other Eastern) imagery in the Book of Job?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seattlegal
But all I see is a reflection.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2023 2:49 pm    Post subject: Vedic (or other Eastern) imagery in the Book of Job? Reply with quote

The book of Job begins:
Job 1 1-3 wrote:
1 There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was blameless and upright, and one who feared God and shunned evil. 2 And seven sons and three daughters were born to him. 3 Also, his possessions were seven thousand sheep, three thousand camels, five hundred yoke of oxen, five hundred female donkeys, and a very large household, so that this man was the greatest of all the people of the East.

Job was from the East. I had always thought of the Book Of Job as having a higly Zoroastrian element to it, because in this book Satan is actually personified and speaking to God, much like the dualistic pair of Ahura Mazda and Ahriman of Zoroastrianism. However, when I made a reference to leviathan from Job 41 as a parallel to "The Shadow" of the Unconscious mind, a Hindu made a connection between leviathan and makara of Hindu mythology. Since Job was "from the East," I'm wondering just how much imagery parallel to Hinduism it contains.

Anyone interested in exploring this?
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2023 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Godulike Forum Index -> Faith-Without-Fear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: